Thursday, August 23, 2012

Snack Time!














Brian and I have been on a diet... yuck!  We have been doing the South Beach diet, which Brian has done before, but I have not.  It is a diet that requires me to give up some sweets for a period of time, and if you know me at all, you know that is kind of a big deal for me.  But, as a cost saving measure, since we can no longer fit into our clothes (and I still cannot fit into my pre-Sophie clothes), and we cannot afford to buy a whole new wardrobe for our new size, we are losing a few pounds.  So far so good.  Brian has lost about ten, and I have lost about five.  About five more to go for both us to at least get our old pants buttoned, a few more for me if I want to not have extreme muffin top in my old jeans. ;)

Anyway, the South Beach Diet has three phases.  The first phase requires you to give up all sugar... I'll be honest, that is impossible for me, so I have cheated a little here and there- which is probably why I have not lost as much as Brian, but whatever.  The second phase allows you to reintroduce some of the good sugars back into your diet.  And the third phase, which is supposed to last forever,  you are eating a normal healthy diet, substituting all good sugars in place of the bad ones, with an occasional cheat here and there.

SO, that brings me to the point of this post... a little snack I've whipped up for the two of us: mixed nuts and dark chocolate chips.


I used Planters mixed nuts (just peanuts for Brian), and Ghiradelli dark chocolate chips (the only brand I found that actually stated it was made with 60% cacao).  You can use about a tablespoon of the chocolate chips, and about a 1/4 cup of the nuts.




I combined the two ingredients into some of Sophie's old baby food containers that I had saved (Nancy would be so proud!).  Any small containers would be fine, recycled, or purchased new.




Popped the lids on, and stacked them up for the week.  There is a stack for Brian, and a stack for me.  Now, we can just grab a little container and go! And, as far as snacks go, it is pretty tasty, and gives me just enough of a sweet treat with dark chocolate to make this diet a little more manageable!





I hope this was helpful... if not, thanks for reading to the end anyway. ;)

4 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike. I make little mixes like this all the time, when Sophie is a little older you can make them for her too. Goldfish, yogurt or chocolate covered raisins, nuts, pretzels & cereal are great options. Especially for road trips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great suggestions! I can't wait to make stuff like that for her. :) She is already digging the cereal and cut up fruit... she loves eating on her own! Such an independent little thing.

      Delete
  2. that is a great snack! tell me more about these "good sugars"? would that be like, dried cranberries, or other died fruits? what about peanut butter - that is one of my favorite foods, but i know it is high in sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first phase you give up all carbs (bread, fruit, pasta, any dairy that is higher than 1%, alcohol, even some of the sweeter vegetables). The second phase allows you to eat fruit again (with no sugar added), any whole grain bread or pastas, and some of the sweeter vegetables. Phase three is just continuing to eat the healthy stuff, and allowing yourself to indulge in the sweet stuff occasionally. 2 tablespoons of peanut butter is allowed in the very first phase, along with veggies and hummus. Dried fruits are good as long as they are not covered in sugar, fresh fruit is better. I do love Craisins though! :) They make a salad taste so much better! Hope that helps!

      Delete